My thoughts as an enterprise Java developer.

Thursday, August 18, 2005


I just delivered a patch to SQA and got a IncompatibleClassChangeError. The javadoc description doesn't help much.

Thrown when an incompatible class change has occurred to some class definition. The definition of some class, on which the currently executing method depends, has since changed.

I looked at the line of code that had the error and went on a hunch. In my case a class used a variable in a super-class and I had changed that variable from static to instance. Therefore the class file in the patch was trying to access it as an instance variable but the old super-class still had it as a static variable. I changed the patch class to not use that variable and sent it back to SQA. Hopefully that fixes it.

No comments: